11 Years of Blogging... and My Bank Account Is Still Waiting!
11 Years of Blogging... and My Bank Account Is Still Waiting!
Let me confess something that might make other bloggers clutch their pearls.
I've been blogging for 11 years.
Eleven.
Years.
And if you're expecting me to say I'm making six figures, driving a luxury car, or sipping cocktails on a beach because of my blog...
Wrong answer!
My blog has given me views, comments, and plenty of opinions—but that magical money everyone on YouTube keeps talking about? Baby, it must have missed my address!
Don't get me wrong. I love blogging. I really do. But sometimes I look at my analytics and think, "These people sure know how to visit without bringing their wallets."
I mostly write about reality TV, pop culture, celebrity gossip, and evergreen topics. One day I'm breaking down who's arguing on reality TV, and the next day I'm writing something that people can find years from now.
It's a wild ride.
The funny part? Every week someone on social media says, "Start a blog. You'll make passive income!"
Passive income?
Where?
Because my income has been so passive it forgot to show up.
I've watched blogging change over the years. Google changes. Social media changes. AI changes. Readers change. One minute everyone says long-form content is king. The next minute they say write short posts. Then they say videos are better. Then newsletters. Then podcasts.
Can somebody make up their mind?
Still, after all these years, I keep showing up.
Why?
Because I actually enjoy writing.
Sometimes that's the lesson nobody wants to hear. Not every hobby becomes a full-time paycheck. Sometimes you create because you love it, not because it's paying your rent.
Now here's the question that keeps coming up:
Should bloggers write about anything?
My answer is... almost.
Write about topics you enjoy, topics people search for, and topics that fit your brand. If your readers come for reality TV gossip every day, don't suddenly turn your blog into a tractor repair website.
Well... unless that's your new thing.
A mix usually works best.
Write about trending stories to catch today's readers.
Write evergreen articles to bring readers six months or even six years later.
Keep experimenting.
Keep learning.
Keep improving your headlines.
Keep writing.
Because every post is another chance for someone to discover your blog.
And yes, sometimes it feels like Google is playing favorites.
Some blogs post one article and somehow they're on page one.
Meanwhile you're over here publishing your 1,000th post like, "Hello? Google? I'm still alive!"
The struggle is real.
But here's the tea...
Success isn't always measured by dollars.
If your writing has improved...
If you've built a loyal audience...
If you've stayed consistent for over a decade...
That's something worth celebrating.
Money is great.
But consistency is rare.
Eleven years later, I'm still blogging.
Still learning.
Still laughing.
Still side-eyeing my earnings.
And still pressing that Publish button.
Maybe the next post will be the one.
Or maybe it'll just give me another excuse to tell a messy story.
Either way...
I'm writing it.
What's Your Story?
Have you been blogging for years without making much money, or did you finally crack the code? Drop your experience in the comments! And if you enjoy reality TV, pop culture, celebrity gossip, and honest blogging conversations, stick around—there's always something messy to talk about. in the dramatic, funny, messy style you enjoy:
Comments
Post a Comment