Should You Avoid Amazon KDP Because of Royalties? Here's Why I Still Use KDP and Payhip
Should You Avoid Amazon KDP Because of Royalties? Here's Why I Still Use KDP and Payhip
If you've spent any time watching YouTube videos about self-publishing, you've probably heard the same debate over and over again.
"Don't publish on Amazon KDP."
"Amazon takes too much money."
"The royalty rates are terrible."
"Sell your books yourself instead."
Those videos get thousands of views because they tap into a fear every new author has: What if I'm getting ripped off?
The truth is much more complicated.
After publishing books myself, I've learned there isn't one perfect platform. That's why I use both Amazon KDP and Payhip. Each platform serves a different purpose, and together they give me more opportunities to earn money.
The Argument Against Amazon KDP
Many YouTubers point out that Amazon doesn't let authors keep 100% of every sale.
That's true.
Depending on your book's price, format, and where it's sold, Amazon keeps a portion of the sale before paying the author. Some people believe that's unfair because the author did all the writing.
But here's the question:
Would those same authors have millions of potential customers without Amazon?
Probably not.
Amazon provides worldwide distribution, payment processing, customer support, downloads, product pages, recommendations, and one of the biggest bookstores on the planet. Those services cost money to operate.
What Amazon KDP Offers
Instead of thinking only about royalty percentages, think about everything Amazon provides.
With KDP you receive:
- A worldwide marketplace
- Easy publishing
- Automatic delivery of eBooks
- Paperback and hardcover printing
- Customer reviews
- Search visibility
- Kindle Unlimited opportunities
- Monthly royalty payments
That's a lot of value for someone just getting started.
Imagine trying to build all of that yourself. You'd need a website, shopping cart, payment processor, email system, customer support, and a marketing strategy.
Amazon already has the customers.
The Case for Payhip
Now let's talk about Payhip.
I also use Payhip because it gives me something Amazon doesn't.
Payhip lets me sell directly to readers.
I can:
- Sell eBooks
- Offer discounts
- Create coupon codes
- Bundle products
- Build an email list
- Control my pricing
- Keep a closer relationship with customers
Instead of hoping someone discovers my book through Amazon's search results, I can send people directly to my Payhip store.
That gives me more control over my business.
Why I Use Both
Some people act like authors have to choose one platform.
I don't agree.
Why limit yourself?
If someone already shops on Amazon every day, I want my book there.
If someone follows my blog, YouTube channel, or social media pages, I can also send them to my Payhip store.
Different readers like buying books in different places.
The goal isn't loyalty to one company.
The goal is selling books.
My Experience
I'll be honest.
I haven't made thousands of dollars from publishing.
Like many independent authors, I've earned modest royalties while continuing to learn.
Some months are better than others.
I've discovered that publishing books is only one part of the business.
Marketing is just as important.
You can publish the greatest book ever written, but if nobody knows it exists, sales will be slow.
That's true whether you use Amazon, Payhip, or any other platform.
Don't Let YouTube Make Your Decisions
One thing I've learned is that YouTube creators often speak from their own experiences.
That's fine.
But their experience isn't automatically your experience.
Some creators make six figures selling directly from their websites.
Others earn most of their income through Amazon.
Some make money from coaching instead of selling books.
Everyone's business is different.
Don't assume one YouTube video applies to every author.
Diversify Your Income
I believe every writer should think like a business owner.
Instead of relying on one source of income, build several.
For example:
- Amazon KDP
- Payhip
- Your own website
- Blogging
- YouTube
- Affiliate marketing
- Digital downloads
- Courses
- Coaching
- Newsletters
If one platform changes its policies, you still have other ways to earn money.
That's a smarter long-term strategy.
There Is No Perfect Platform
Every publishing platform has pros and cons.
Amazon charges a percentage.
Payhip has transaction and payment-processing fees.
Your own website has hosting costs.
Nothing is completely free.
Instead of asking, "Which platform is perfect?"
Ask yourself, "Which platform helps me reach more readers?"
That's a much better question.
My Advice to New Authors
If you're just starting out, don't spend months worrying about royalty percentages before you've even published your first book.
Write the book.
Edit the book.
Create a professional cover.
Publish it.
Then learn how to market it.
As your audience grows, you can expand to additional platforms like Payhip and build multiple income streams.
Final Thoughts
The debate over Amazon KDP versus Payhip doesn't have to be an either-or argument.
For me, the answer is simple: I use both.
Amazon gives me access to one of the largest bookstores in the world. Payhip gives me more control over my products and a direct connection with readers.
Neither platform is perfect, but both can be valuable tools when used wisely.
At the end of the day, your success won't be determined by whether you choose Amazon or Payhip. It will depend on how consistently you write, publish, promote your work, and continue learning.
Don't let YouTube decide your publishing journey. Learn from others, test different strategies, and build the author business that works best for you.
Comments
Post a Comment