AI, BookTok, and the "Real Author" Debate: Why Everyone Needs to Calm Down


AI, BookTok, and the "Real Author" Debate: Why Everyone Needs to Calm Down

Spend just thirty minutes watching BookTube or BookTok videos on YouTube, and you'll probably stumble into one of the biggest arguments in publishing right now: authors using AI tools like ChatGPT.
I recently watched video after video where people debated whether using AI automatically makes someone "not a real writer." The comments were even worse.
One experience really stood out to me.
I reached out to someone to tell them about one of my books. Before they even wanted to know what the book was about, the conversation turned into one question:
"Did you use ChatGPT?"
Before I could even explain anything, they started yelling about AI, fake authors, and people ruining publishing. They went on and on.
I didn't argue.
I didn't defend myself.
I simply listened until they finished and then walked away.
Sometimes that's the best response.
Everybody Has an Opinion
The internet loves taking sides.
You're either a "real author."
Or you're a "fake author."
There's rarely any middle ground.
Some readers believe if you use ChatGPT for brainstorming, outlining, editing ideas, or improving grammar, you're cheating.
Others see AI as just another tool, similar to spell check, grammar software, or a thesaurus.
The truth is much more complicated than either side wants to admit.
"I've Been Reading for Years..."
One argument I hear over and over is this:
"I've been reading books my entire life. I've studied writing for years. Then someone downloads ChatGPT today and suddenly calls themselves an author."
I understand why some people feel frustrated.
Writing is hard.
Many authors spent years learning story structure, grammar, pacing, dialogue, and editing. They collected rejection letters before finally getting published.
Seeing thousands of new writers enter the space with AI can feel overwhelming.
But here's another question.
Should only people who've been reading for decades be allowed to write books?
Of course not.
Every author was once a beginner.
Nobody starts as an expert.
What About Influencers?
Here's something that rarely gets discussed.
Many influencers with millions of followers release books every year.
Some are excellent.
Some are... not.
Some books clearly needed another round of editing.
Others feel rushed because publishers know the creator already has a built-in audience.
Yet those books often become bestsellers.
Why?
Because the creator already has an audience willing to buy.
That's marketing.
It's not always about writing quality.
Traditional Publishing Isn't Perfect
People sometimes act like every traditionally published book is flawless.
That's simply not true.
Books from major publishing houses still contain:
Typos
Plot holes
Weak endings
Flat characters
Repetitive writing
Poor pacing
Readers point these things out all the time in reviews.
A publishing contract doesn't automatically guarantee a masterpiece.
Self-Publishing Has Changed Everything
Years ago, publishing a book was incredibly difficult.
Today, anyone can publish an ebook.
That has created incredible opportunities.
It has also created millions of books competing for attention.
Some are amazing.
Some are terrible.
Most fall somewhere in the middle.
The challenge isn't simply publishing.
It's creating something readers actually enjoy.
AI Doesn't Replace Creativity
Here's where I think many conversations get lost.
AI can generate words.
It cannot replace your personal experiences, emotions, humor, memories, or unique perspective.
Readers connect with stories that feel human.
If you're writing a memoir, your life is yours.
If you're writing about your favorite TV shows, those opinions are yours.
If you're writing poetry, your emotions matter.
AI can help organize ideas, but it can't live your life for you.
Don't Get Distracted by Internet Fights
The internet rewards outrage.
Videos arguing about AI often receive thousands of comments because controversy gets attention.
That doesn't necessarily make the loudest opinions the most helpful.
Instead of spending hours arguing online, ask yourself:
Is my book well organized?
Did I edit it carefully?
Would I enjoy reading it?
Did I get feedback from others?
Am I continuing to improve?
Those questions matter far more than winning a debate in a comment section.
Readers Decide
At the end of the day, readers make the final decision.
They don't buy books because someone yelled on YouTube.
They buy books because they're interested in the topic, enjoy the writing, or trust the author.
If readers finish your book feeling entertained, informed, or inspired, you've done something valuable.
Keep Learning
Whether you write every sentence yourself, use AI to brainstorm ideas, or hire editors and proofreaders, never stop learning.
Read more books.
Study storytelling.
Learn marketing.
Practice writing every week.
Accept constructive criticism.
The best writers improve over time.
My Advice
Don't let strangers on the internet discourage you from writing.
If someone wants to have a respectful conversation about AI, great.
If someone immediately starts shouting or attacking you, you don't have to defend yourself.
You don't owe everyone an explanation about your writing process.
Focus on creating books you're proud of.
Treat readers with respect.
Be honest about your work.
Continue improving with every project.
Publishing has changed, technology has changed, and readers have more choices than ever before.
The conversation about AI isn't going away anytime soon.
But instead of asking only, "Did you use ChatGPT?"
Maybe we should ask a better question:
"Did you write a book that people genuinely enjoy reading?"
In the end, that's the question readers will answer every time they turn the final page.
If you'd like, I can also create a catchy title, SEO 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

🔥🔥 BREAKING NEWS 🔥🔥Jay-Z Says Beyoncé Surpassed Michael Jackson — Janet Jackson Claps Back!

5 Reasons Marlo Hampton Could’ve Saved RHOA Season 16 (Sorry Cynthia, Bye Girl!)

🎄 Black Friday, No Christmas Tree: Growing Up in a House Where the Holidays Were “Just Another Day”